Friday, December 18, 2009

smile.

I am a dental hygienist.
Yes, I clean teeth for eight hours a day.
But you know what?
I love it, and yesterday I was reminded why.
No it wasn't a day of work where everything was perfect, and everyone was completely happy..
..but it made me think about why i love what i do.
Here are a few reasons why---
-I clean teeth. Doesn't that make everyone feel better right there? Clean teeth make the world better.
-I get to talk to patients all day long, and I love to talk. I hear about their holiday plans, what little kids what for Christmas, and basically what's going on around the town.
-I get all sorts of neat treats from patients who are grateful for what we do. Salsa, jam, cookies-I love it all.
-I get to see the smile on people faces, or tears rolling down their cheeks the moment after our patients see their new smile. This is one of the most touching things in the world. I admit-sometime tears want to form in my eyes too.
-I get to wear scrubs. None of this spending 3985 minutes deciding what to wear in the morning. This also means more time for blog reading.
-I get to see some of my good friends/coworkers all day long. Our dental office is an easy going, friendly place where laughter is usually abundant.
-I get to sit in a comfy leather chair while listening to John Mayer blast on the XM radio each day. That alone is comfort.

So, even though you might think being a dental hygienist isn't much fun-most of us love it.
And love seeing you-the patients.
Just be nice to us. Some of you aren't.
That doesn't make our days the most fun.
So remember....

Everyday you spend without a smile is a day lost.

No comments: