Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Safe and Cozy.

I love love.
I understand there is ups and downs.
Make-ups and breakups.
Excuses and Lies.
And sometimes....it just doesn't work.
And sometimes it does.
Lots of times, its plenty of work.
But at the end there is love.
And that's what matters.
With that, I'm going to share my most favorite post of all time on the subject of love.
This girl nailed it.
I know a lot of you will understand where this came from.
But at the end of this road if there is one thing I know..
I know that there is an amazing boy in this world who believes in love, and I know he will be just fine.
"There comes a point in every relationship during which you realize all the newness is officially gone. You are out of firsts, you begin reading each other's minds and finishing each other's sentences, you have lost any and all mystery you once had, you no longer worry about morning breath or shy away from dressing like scrub on a fairly regular basis. You hang out with a couple who has not yet reached this place and you find yourself becoming wildly paranoid about the state of your own relationship, feeling envious of anyone who is floating along on a cloud of new love.I'm kind of there. I've actually been there for a while now.And although I've expressed these feelings before, it's still something that has been on my mind lately. Instead of being grumpy about the state of things, I'm slowly learning to appreciate this stage of love. Although I still struggle with comparing my relationship to those of other people around me, feel slightly wistful at the thought of never having a romantic love affair in Italy, and am resigned to the fact that I'm in love with a man who will never want to snuggle while listening to Sarah McLachlan...I'm daily reminded of the wonderful things that are so easy overlooked.For lack of a better description, sometimes my love life is safe and cozy.I know, that doesn't sound very sexy. Or thrilling. But, really? It's kind of amazing. Safe and cozy means I never have to worry about anything being a deal-breaker. I can gain those extra ten pounds, I can throw a small tantrum over something as ridiculous as socks, I can cry during Folgers commercials, I can have a creepy vampire fixation, I can proclaim my love of John Mayer and sleeping for nine hours straight, I can fail at cooking something as basic as chicken breast, I can wear the same jeans for two weeks straight. No matter what, I know that there is nothing I can do that will scare him away or lessen his love for me.Safe and cozy means that we can irritate each other and still want to cuddle at the end of the night. Which is the best thing of all, if you ask me.Because they aren't big, romantic gestures, I think that sometimes it's easy to overlook certain things that are a part of my everyday life. I'm one of those people who are easily swept up in the "idea" of things. I'll watch a movie and wonder why my life isn't like that. I'll be around another couple and think that my relationship is less wonderful. I'll wish we had kids already or owned a home or could afford to spoil ourselves on a weekly basis. I'll think of how I'd always dreamed my life would be and end up not giving reality nearly enough credit. It helps to periodically sit down and think of all the things that make my present place in life quite wonderful.I've been trying my darndest to work on being more grateful for all I have. For all the good things, you know?And all these good things, they're the things that remind me how happy my life with him has become and continues to be. Quite frankly, I can't imagine how life would be without these things. And I'm willing to give up just about anything to make sure they stick around."
(And, yes, I'm so cheesy that you could make a delicious sandwich out of me. Amen.)

No comments: